Well I have been having a hard time getting motivated lately. I think it is because there are a lot of things going on, and I haven't been really excited about them. I want to do other fun things, but I feel guilty doing them, so I just don't do much at all, procrastinating what I have to do until the last minute and then feeling bad because I haven't gotten much done.
Now, since I have confessed, I need to make some specific goals to do better.
I think I will do that tomorrow, though.
I did get our Super Saturday done with--but I finally decided on that one that it was coming no matter what I did, so I needed to buck up and make it happen. It did turn out well. I still have a couple of piles of project kits in my living room that sisters who didn't show up that day haven't picked up yet. I will be very glad when these disappear!
I also got Seth's mission plaque photo accomplished. I say "accomplished" because it really isn't as nice and wonderful as I wanted it to be, but we don't have much time when he has his suit on and when the weather is nice, and when the lighting is okay. I wish we could have gone somewhere else to take it, but we ended up at one of the parks in Rigby, at about 3:30pm on a Sunday afternoon. The light was kind of harsh, there were not many leaves left on the trees, and not a lot of interesting backgrounds. Plus a mission picture needs to be a little more formal than a senior picture. I struggled with it. But here it is:

I did get all registered for BYU-I this week. Since apparently I have had the condition I have now (no motivation-procrastination) most of my life, I have to wrap up all the loose ends this semester and get my associates degree. This I will be doing in an earlier catalog. The counselors there have bent over backwards for me, counting my 20+ year old classes towards G.E. courses I need. Once I do this, I will proceed with my degree in Elementary Ed. I have chosen this path for a number of reasons:
- because I already have Elementary Ed classes under my belt
- because I feel I will be a good teacher
- because I have been trying it out (substituting) and know what I'm getting into
- because we will always have a need for teachers (job security--but this may be getting tougher!)
- because I will have holidays, weekends, and summers off (in theory)
- because with an elementary ed certification, I can teach kindergarten through 8th grade (at first I was leaning towards secondary English and Journalism, but I came to my senses when I considered the number of positions available locally in highschools as compared to elementary, middle school, and jr.highs)
- because I want to help earn money to go towards John and my retirement (we would like to have enough to serve at least one mission together!)
When I first went to talk with the Ed. Dept. counselor and dept. head they said, "So you want to be a teacher!" and then I answered with, " I think so," and then they looked at me, with maybe a little concern, and said, "You don't sound too sure about that."
I think this is because I have a different perspective on the whole matter than the 19-21 yr. olds that will be my peers for the next couple of years. I have studied this out, considering many other paths, and this one seems to be it. I am considering getting a master's in counseling after I am through this stage of the game and have actually gotten hired and have taught a couple of years.
On to other subjects...
You know, it is really hard to have your kids grow up and start that "seperation process." I have been going through this for a few years now, and you would think that it would get easier, but with each kid it is a little different. It is a time when they want to make you feel like they really don't need you around, but they depend on you for their support. It is not yet a time of "thank yous" but a time of "leave me alone, but I need you to do this for me asap." It is a time when no one has time to help with household chores, etc., and everyone needs a car or at least a ride. The laundry piles are huge, the bathrooms are always trashed, most of the time you have to wade through their bedrooms, and here I am in my "no motivation--procrastination" state...
One consolation is my 10 year old--on being asked if she likes being the youngest she said, not all the time, but she is glad she gets to stay with us longer and not have to leave soon. (And I am glad too!)
Well I will finish complaining for today. As you can tell, I am procrastinating this morning. Yes, the sink is full of dishes, there is laundry to wash, dry and fold, plus I am obligated to have a Rigby High School cross country slideshow DVD finished by 11:30am.
I'll get it all done eventually...
it is just that I have so much on my mind.
I think this is because I have a different perspective on the whole matter than the 19-21 yr. olds that will be my peers for the next couple of years. I have studied this out, considering many other paths, and this one seems to be it. I am considering getting a master's in counseling after I am through this stage of the game and have actually gotten hired and have taught a couple of years.
On to other subjects...
You know, it is really hard to have your kids grow up and start that "seperation process." I have been going through this for a few years now, and you would think that it would get easier, but with each kid it is a little different. It is a time when they want to make you feel like they really don't need you around, but they depend on you for their support. It is not yet a time of "thank yous" but a time of "leave me alone, but I need you to do this for me asap." It is a time when no one has time to help with household chores, etc., and everyone needs a car or at least a ride. The laundry piles are huge, the bathrooms are always trashed, most of the time you have to wade through their bedrooms, and here I am in my "no motivation--procrastination" state...
One consolation is my 10 year old--on being asked if she likes being the youngest she said, not all the time, but she is glad she gets to stay with us longer and not have to leave soon. (And I am glad too!)
Well I will finish complaining for today. As you can tell, I am procrastinating this morning. Yes, the sink is full of dishes, there is laundry to wash, dry and fold, plus I am obligated to have a Rigby High School cross country slideshow DVD finished by 11:30am.
I'll get it all done eventually...
it is just that I have so much on my mind.
4 ...click here to say "Hi!":
Mitzi- I love you so much! November is a hard month all around- so don't go beating yourself up for the procrastination thing. The picture of Seth is awesome. The kids really like it.
You're going to do great in school. I know you're an incredibly gifted teacher.
As for the house- one day at a time. One minute at a time. Just get through this one and you'll make it to the next.
Thanks for sharing your life with us! It's nice to know.
My favorite line from this post:
"I need to make some specific goals to do better.
I think will do that tomorrow, though."
Classic!
Keep your chin up. You are doing some awesome stuff. I'm impressed.
Hi there,
I love this post so much! It is my life! I have no advice. Carry on, carry on is all I can say. I do however LOVE the picture of Seth. What a fine young man he is! And a good example to those yet to reach that age. All of your children are beautiful! Thanks for making my day. Hang in there.
Mitzi, I could quote your first paragraph and call the words my own; that is EXACTLY how I feel most days! Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone . . .
Your classmates at BYU-I and future students are going to be blessed to have you around.
XO,
-E
(Love the photo of Seth!)
Post a Comment