This post may be a little long and scattered. I think I will start with yesterday. Yesterday was December 9, 2008--Taylor's 10th Birthday. Yes, one decade ago our baby was born (a 10 1/2 lb bundle of joy)! This day began with our girls arising one hour early to open birthday presents--all was grand! Except the one present that is still in the mail...oh well.
Everyone went on their way, and I sat down to finish Madi's Christmas dress. Although I had to take the zipper out once and redo, I finished in pretty good time. I went over to press it and didn't realize the iron was as hot as it was. Even though I was ironing on the wrong side of the fabric, it made a shiny spot on the back of the skirt on one side of the slit (it pressed down the fibers)--the dress is red velvet. Mishap #1.
I finished the lights and went back to the kitchen to start dinner. I turned around just in time to see it--the lighted Christmas tree, seemingly in slow motion, crashed to the floor-- including the stand filled to the brim with water.
It took awhile for the girls and I to pick up the tree and figure out how to get it to stay upright (the trunk is too small for our stand I think). It is standing pretty sturdily now (I stuffed rocks in around it), but it is listing slightly toward the fireplace.
John came home 15 min. later. (just missed all the excitement!) Of course, dinner was not even close to being done. Taylor wanted fish and chips. It takes a LONG time to hand batter and fry fish. I put the girls in charge of starting to decorate the tree, which they couldn't do without being rude to each other. I told them that they could either decorate the tree nicely, or go clean their rooms. Things got a little better...
I finally got the fish about half done and called everyone to the table so that they wouldn't be late to where ever they were headed. Then Seth bit into his fish (a thick piece) and politely commented that it was not cooked all the way through. So I gathered all of it back up and stuck it on a cookie sheet in the oven for a while. The shrimp was good--but I didn't make it to the table until all but 4 shriveled fries were left.
On to more pleasant days--we had our first real snow on Sunday night/Monday morning. Taylor was excited. I went out jogging in it before daylight...it was silent and still, and really not that cold.
Sunday we went for a drive to Mesa Falls to see it in the winter (Taylor, John and I). Afterward we listened to the Christmas devotional together (all of us).





And we are working on our basement! Friday and Saturday, John, Seth and I put up the ceilings in the family room and 2 bedrooms. We are on our way--a little more each evening!
I had to run to the grocery store before Taylor got home--but I didn't leave in time so I left a note for her and the door open. I did my grocery shopping, got loaded up and on my way, stopped at the stop light and realized I forgot an important dinner ingredient. I went around the block, went back in the store, paid for the item and drove home in a hurry--I was behind schedule by now.
I was supposed to have the lights put on the Christmas tree so we could decorate it between Taylor's Birthday dinner and Mutual/Scouts. I started Taylor's cake (just a mix), put it in the oven and then proceeded to put the lights on the tree.
I finished the lights and went back to the kitchen to start dinner. I turned around just in time to see it--the lighted Christmas tree, seemingly in slow motion, crashed to the floor-- including the stand filled to the brim with water.
It took awhile for the girls and I to pick up the tree and figure out how to get it to stay upright (the trunk is too small for our stand I think). It is standing pretty sturdily now (I stuffed rocks in around it), but it is listing slightly toward the fireplace.
John came home 15 min. later. (just missed all the excitement!) Of course, dinner was not even close to being done. Taylor wanted fish and chips. It takes a LONG time to hand batter and fry fish. I put the girls in charge of starting to decorate the tree, which they couldn't do without being rude to each other. I told them that they could either decorate the tree nicely, or go clean their rooms. Things got a little better...
I finally got the fish about half done and called everyone to the table so that they wouldn't be late to where ever they were headed. Then Seth bit into his fish (a thick piece) and politely commented that it was not cooked all the way through. So I gathered all of it back up and stuck it on a cookie sheet in the oven for a while. The shrimp was good--but I didn't make it to the table until all but 4 shriveled fries were left.
.
On to the cake--well, I haven't made a layer cake for many moons. You can see by the picture that it had issues. I picked up the top layer several times after I thought I had finished it to put it back on straight, but it continued to go the way of the tree. I guess I made slippery frosting. It finally crashed too. But it tasted pretty good. I'll have to say that I was happy to fall into bed. I got up this morning to clean up the aftermath.
.
That was my yesterday in a nutshell. I am supposed to throw Taylor's party on Friday. I am somewhat apprehensive at this point!
.
Our side of the Tetons on Sunday, Dec. 6
Sunday we went for a drive to Mesa Falls to see it in the winter (Taylor, John and I). Afterward we listened to the Christmas devotional together (all of us).
.

.

2 ...click here to say "Hi!":
Oh Mitzi! I'm sorry your day was not fun! I had to giggle though at all the mishaps. I guess if our lives were really smooth, we wouldn't have any good stories to tell :-) Mesa Falls looked so georgous- thanks for sharing.
Wow! sounds like quuite the day. It was rather fun to read. Made me laugh. :) The good news is, now that the day had come and gone, you should be safe from another day like that for a while.
Post a Comment