Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Off to BYU...

It was Friday night. Boxes lay, some open, some shut and full, around the living room--a maze amid the left-over Christmas clutter.
"Mom, will you give me a haircut?" This is the final step of preparation. Seth is going to BYU-I in the morning.
His dark curls hit the floor sporadically, his will bent to comply. This is a chore that has been repeated for 18 years, over and over again. In the past couple of years it has been less often, leaving his mass of dark, unruly curls to find their own place.
After sister-hugs, the morning led us into a crisp Eastern Idaho, down a well-traveled highway. 15 minutes later we drove down the University exit.
At the end of the day, I returned alone.
Yes, he is only 20 minutes from home; a hop in the car away. He reminds me that it is easy to ride his bike there.
But, he is not here. He has taken one more step away from us. One more step towards "all grown up."

4 ...click here to say "Hi!":

ManicMandee said...

So poetic! Good luck to him! I'll email you my address now.

Melissa said...

That made me tear up :( Why do they have to grow up??? I was just thinking today that I wanted to "bottle" Teagan up so she can't grow any bigger... xoxoxo

Pierson family said...

I would love to get together. I don't know when I will be up next. I think of you often, espeially when I'm trying to be creative. You are natually creative. Myself, I have to work hard at it. And I see from your blog pics, that you have passed that down to your family. I loved Bethany's costume she made.

McCarrey said...

Hello Mitzi!
I'm finally leaving a message. I love to spy on your blog. I show the kids the photos and they love it. Jared wants to see Seth (Sith) with his haircut. :) You do such a great job blogging. I love reading it! Jessica says to tell Taylor hello! :) Take care,
Terri :)