Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Windhaven Fields (aka Woodhaven Creek)...

I have always resented the names of subdivisions. To me they are all totally ridiculous. Who makes them up anyway? Why do they even have to have names?

In Boise, our subdivision was called
"Annett Subdivision."

Now this is a practical name--all of the streets in the sub were off of Annett street. Now this makes sense to me.

Today some guys came and put up new signs outside the entrances to our subdivision. We live in
(drum roll please.......)
Woodhaven Creek Estates
!
Now let me tell you a little bit about this place:
  1. There is not a tree over 3' tall in the whole neighborhood. NO WOOD!
  2. Creek? No, i-r-r-i-g-a-t-i-o-n ditch (not even a pretty irrigation ditch).
  3. The word "estate" conjures up images of beautifully manicured lawns. When I look out the window, to the west I see AN ACRE OF DANDELIONS. To the east I see AN ACRE OF DANDELIONS. To the northwest ANOTHER ACRE OF DANDELIONS. There is a little alfalfa mixed in.
So, Taylor and I have come up with a new name for our new neighborhood. It is
WINDHAVEN FIELDS.
Actually, Taylor wants to call it
Windhaven Ditch
,
but I prefer Windhaven Fields. It is a little more catchy. And the new name fits in perfectly with some of the other subdivision names in our ward boundaries (Windemere, West Wind). You have probably noticed a "wind" theme by now. Come visit us sometime and find out why first hand!

If you're going to name a place, why not do it right?

3 ...click here to say "Hi!":

Laura said...

Ha ha... I think the name thing is so that someone feels important. I always wanted to live somewhere not labeled by someone else. My house is almost a hundred years old, an low and behold- no subdivision name.

My grandma in PA told me my house was pretty young. My aunt's house is over 200 yr. old. And guess what... they aren't labeled into subdivisions.

Anonymous said...

You are so right about the over top names! Joel and I always laugh at what they come up with. I know when I think of "Estates", they are stately and gentrified with huge established trees, etc. But you know, the the same people who name subdivisions are the ones who write those over the top real estate ads too....

Anonymous said...

Oops, I'm signed in under Torsten's name- this is actually Sariah! :-)