Monday, August 31, 2009

I like cool...


In the middle of the night, there was a fabulous thunder/lightening storm--it woke both John and I up. It was still thundering this morning when I got up to make lunches. I harvested some pumpkins and have one baking right now. It is the kind of day that makes a person feel all homey and snuggly. I guess I'm ready for Eastern Idaho's fantastic fall.

I also bought a box of pears today. So here are 2 recipes: one for pumpkins and one for pears.

This one came originally from a good friend, Angela Sullivan. I have modified it a little over the years.

Pumpkin Chip Muffins
4 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 cups pumpkin (16 oz)
1 cup oil
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips
In a large bowl beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin, and oil. Combine flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt--mix well and add to pumpkin mixture. Mix together and fold in chips. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 400 degrees, 16-20 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 min.

This recipe I found a long time ago, and I pull it out this time of year. It is a little unusual, 'cause not too many people think about using pears in pie. I love this recipe!


Fresh Pear Crumble Pie
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tblsp lemon juice
2 Tblsp flour or Minute Tapioca
5 cups peeled, sliced pears
9"pastry for a single crust pie (unbaked)
topping:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
In a large bowl sprinkle pears with lemon juice. Combine sugar and flour, mix, and add to pears. Toss to coat fruit. Fill pie crust. Combine dry topping ingredients, mix well. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle topping over pear filling. Cover pie edge with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 25 min. Remove foil, bake for 25-30 min. more or until the pie is bubble and crust is golden. Cool and enjoy!

I think I am going to bake some muffins for my visiting teaching sisters and make a short stop by each of their homes--it is the last day of the month...

4 ...click here to say "Hi!":

Laura said...

I've had that pear pie before and it is soooo good!

We're still in the middle of summer even if it is the first day of school.

But then, I like it hot.

Love you Mitzi!

Melissa said...

I agree with you Mitzi! I love the the fall!!!

Jennie said...

Mitzi - I baked the pear pie for dinner today and we made homemade vanilla ice cream to go on top. YUM!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Enjoy the E. Idaho fall! :)

sariah said...

Thunder makes the house feel so cozy! I love that 3 Cups of Tea book too, by the way. I bought another copy to lend out to friends.