Saturday, August 1, 2009

Our Big Horn Crags trip...

John and I took off Monday afternoon to the Big Horn Crags. After a long bumpy ride, we arrived at the Crags Campground, and spent the night in the back of the truck. The next morning, we got up and started into the Frank Church Wilderness of No Return.
We took the trail up Fish Fin Ridge, and hiked into Wilson and Harbor Lakes. We found a somewhat flat spot on the far side of Harbor, and set up camp (our favorite spots were gone--it was a little busy up there this last week!)
There was a terrific rain/lightening storm that night--it was a little freaky--the thunder bouncing around the mountains.When we woke up, we had to wait for our tent to dry. While we were waiting, we visited with our neighbors on the other side of the lake--a older couple from Australia (small world!).
We packed up and headed down the Water Falls trail and then the Puddin' Mtn. trail to the southern lakes. We camped at Reflection Lake Wednesday night. (We also visited Twin Coves Lake, but no good campsites) We had an excellent campsite at Reflection Lake--really flat, with a huge fallen log to set all our stuff on. John set up the hammock, and it was great for reading while he fished the lake. Thursday morning, we headed off-trail up to Echo Lake (just imagine laying here in a meadow next to a high mountain lake--a cool breeze rustling the pages of your book)...and then over to Sky High Lake. We camped there and had the whole thing to ourselves (and the 2 million mosquitoes!). John set up the hammock for me again, and we spent the evening in our headnets.Friday morning we headed out. We off-trailed down out of Sky High into a beautiful meadow. This is called Bear Grass. (cool stuff) We found the Puddin' Mtn. Trail, and started our climb, and descent, and climb, and descent, etc. It was about 11 miles back to the trailhead.We had a super time!
(despite the fact that I forgot all my lunches--so John shared. And that on Wednesday I developed my first ever heel blisters from hiking--I hiked the entire last day with bandannas instead of socks on my feet inside my boots; just to see if it would help)

Madi, Taylor, and I are meeting Kaylene, Esther, and Mary R. in the Sawtooths in 2 days to do a "girl's only" backpacking trip. So I'll be reporting back soon!

3 ...click here to say "Hi!":

ManicMandee said...

That looked like a fabulous trip!!! Gorgeous.

Laura said...

I had to use Parley's computer to keep up with all your pictures. Love the mosquito wear. It will be the new fashion at scout camp.

You made me wish I brought my camera to Cascade...

Jennie said...

What a great trip! Can't wait to hear about your backpacking adventures with Kayleen and co. :) Gotta make the most of the summer!