Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Chronicles of Skiing 2...

I decided to use this name because you will continue to hear about this subject for the next couple of weeks. This is the 2nd Chronicle of Skiing:
Chair Lift Challenged
I actually took a couple of pictures this time. I don't know if I'll do this any more, because I almost lost my camera in the snow when I was coming down Skier's Lane (I crashed and it popped out of my pocket--by chance I looked down, saw something black, and picked it up to discover it was my camera). I can't trust myself to keep my pockets zipped, plus I do crash alot and I might break it.

This is Madi with her snow board getting ready to start her lesson. She went up the face of the mountain this time (and back down--and she is still in one piece, although I think her tail bone is a little sore!)


And here is Taylor getting in line for the rope tow.

This is a video of her coming down the bunny hill "making her pizza."


On to the chair lift...Actually, I wish I could get on and stay on the way everyone else gets on and stays on and then gets off at the end.

I started out my evening with several runs down the bunny hill (which really isn't as flat as it looks in the video--at least from my perspective), and then I decided to brave Skiier's Lane a second time. John and I got in line for the lift. As I got closer, and closer I got more and more nervous. Then it was my turn. I got ready, grabbed the pole, I sat on the chair...and my ski got stuck in the snow underneath popping off! The lift operator stopped the lift, ran and grabbed my ski, handed it to me and said that she would radio ahead for them to stop the lift to let me off. So much for being graceful whatsoever. Anyway, I made it down Skiier's Lane (this time I only fell down about 6 times instead of 30+ like last time) and decided to try it one more time.

I got in line, got in place, grabbed the pole, and obviously I did not line up my skis or lift my tips because this time both skis were pulled under me as the chair continued forward and up, and I was hanging onto the pole for dear life as I was being pulled off of the chair as I was lifting into the air. The chair lift lady was yelling, "Is she okay?!! Do you have her?!!" and John was grabbing at my coat yelling back that everything was fine.

He says he wants to bring a video camera next time. He pictures me dangling from the bottom of the lift, hanging there as it travels slowly up the mountainside.

By the way, that time I finished my run by sliding down the final 60 ft. shoot upside down on my back with my skis dragging behind me.

I just can't wait 'til next Friday.


On Saturday, we started to tile our downstairs bathroom shower. These are a couple of pictures of the progress. I think John does a pretty good job. The red stuff is the waterproofing (red guard) that goes underneath the thin set, that goes underneath the tile. We are hoping to be finished by next weekend.

The ceiling is pretty tricky; John says it is really cold when thin set falls down your shirt.


(note: I really don't mind skiing, although I am a constant embarrassment to myself and all those who are related to me. I am getting better :-)-- at least at the skiing part. This next week I will concentrate a little more on chair lift skills.)

4 ...click here to say "Hi!":

sariah said...

What is it about the lift? I skied last year, only the 2nd time in my life, and I really didn't do too bad except for getting on and off the lift. I fell FLAT on my back getting off at the top and they had to stop everything and help me stand up because of course I can't ever get up once I fall! So I was laughing so hard reading about your experience. :-) I sympathize!

ManicMandee said...

I still have never skiid downhill. Only cross country once. I think it's great you plan to keep at it.
And the shower looks great! Very impressive.

Jennie said...

I laughed out loud at your ski lift antics! I remember all too well my first times on the lifts and not being able to coordinate my body with the motion. Good for you for learning to ski and taking advantage of the white stuff there in E. Idaho. You'll have to try xc skiing - it's the best! You can just go right out your front door to do it too. Hang in there -summer's coming! And then hiking, sans grizzlies. :)

McCarrey said...

You are such a great writer! I giggled and giggled. I'm sorry about your experiences but hey, it's what make us stronger :)
It has been years since we've braved the slopes! Good for you for trying! Does the Bishop hire out? :) I have some 50's pink I would love to see gone. Anyway, I'm so glad to see everyone doing so well. Jessica says Hi to Taylor too.
Terri :)