Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Yummmmmm...

For some new recipes you might check out Bethany's new blog.
http://yummycollegefood.blogspot.com/
I thought she was really, really busy this semester; but maybe she has more time on her hands than I realize.
At least I know she is eating well!
(I'm sure she'll appreciate me posting this picture--maybe she could let us all know what it is she is devouring...)
I've been wanting to post a couple of recipes as well.
I love the Spicy Shrimp and Chicken Pasta at Carino's. I also really like the Spicy Wings at Goodwood. And the Bread Pudding at Chuck O' Rama. And the Blue Corn Tacos at Cafe Ole'. But I only have a similar recipe for the first one (darn it!) Here is a recipe I found on the internet. The first one is the original (I found it on Recipezaar--recipe #288012), the 2nd one is my lower calorie, adjusted recipe.
Spicy Shrimp and Chicken Pasta
Serves 6 to 8
-2 (8oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled
-3 Tblsp butter
-20 med raw shrimp, peeled, tail removed, and cleaned
-1 cup fresh button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
-1 cup sundried tomatoes, sliced
-salt and pepper to taste
-3 cups heavy cream
-1/2 cup Romano cheese, grated
-1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
-16 oz dry penne pasta
1. Season and grill the chicken breasts unil done. cool and slice into bite sized pieces.
2. Add butter to a large saute' pan on medium heat.
3. Once butter is melted, add the shrimp, sliced chicken, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, salt and pepper
4. Saute mixture until shrimp and mushrooms are cooked.
5. Add cream, Romano cheese and cayenne pepper. Let cream reduce by half while stirring frequently.
6. Meanwhile, cook pasta al dente according to package directions; drain excess water.
7. Toss cooked pasta with contents of saute' pan. Serve.
Mitzi's Lower Calorie Spicy Shrimp and/or Chicken Pasta
-1 chicken breast, grilled or fried in a pan with a spray of Pam
-3 Tblsp butter
-as many shrimp as I may have (sometimes I only put in chicken, sometimes only shrimp, sometimes both)
-lots of mushrooms! probably 1 lb. sliced
-1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes (I just by the julienne sliced in olive oil and throw in some)
-salt and pepper to taste
-2 cans of fat-free evaporated milk
-some cornstarch for thickening (whisk with some of the milk before adding--I start with 2 tsp and add more if needed)
-1/2 to 1 cup romano cheese (to your taste)
-sprinkle of cayenne pepper (to your taste--be careful!)
-1 lb penne pasta (try whole grain if you would like!)
Prepare basically the same as original recipe, except thicken your sauce with cornstarch. I haven't calculated the calorie/fat savings, but I think that replacing the 3 cups of cream with the fat free evaporated milk definitely makes a difference. I honestly have not tried to prepare the original recipe, because I don't buy cream, but I really like this version. After you get started, you'll know how to adjust it to your family's tastes!
Here's one more--this one is definitely not low fat!
Maple Bars (doughnuts--makes approx. 36)
-2 Tblsp yeast
-1/2 cup warm water
-6 Tblsp butter or margarine
-1 cup milk (scalded)
-1 cup cold water
-1 tsp salt
-1/2 cup sugar
-3 eggs
-6-7 cups flour
-oil (for frying)
Maple frosting
-4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
-1/2 cup butter or margarine
-4 Tblsp milk
-2 Tblsp maple flavoring (I don't use quite this much)
1. In a bowl place yeast and 1/2 c. water to activate
2. Place butter, salt, and sugar in hot scalded milk, then add cold water
3. Mix well and add eggs to this
4. When it is cool enough, mix with yeast
5 . Add flour 1 c. at a time till soft but workable dough
6. Roll out on lightly floured surface into a rectangle about 1/4-1/2 inch thick
7. cut into rectangular bars about 2-3 inches by 5-6 inches
8. Lit rise till double
9. heat oil to 350 and fry till browned on both sides.
Frosting:
Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix with a hand blender till smooth. Wait to frost until cool (or be ready to eat them fast while the frosting is melting--this is the best way--frost them one by one and feast!)
I am really hungry...I think I need to go eat lunch...

3 ...click here to say "Hi!":

Bethany Hull said...

They were all ready typed out. I just copied and pasted. And burning 3000 calories I day, I should be spending at least some time cooking....

Bethany Hull said...

OH.. and the picture is a vintage 1940's hat... that looks like a giant peanut butter cup when turned upside down.

mitzi said...

Hats are not very good for you--giant peanut butter cups aren't either, but I guess you can afford the calories with all your dance classes. I like your new website--it is a good idea. I miss you. Don't work too hard...