The sun has been shining for a couple of days here now...Taylor wore shorts to school (It is supposed to be almost 60 here today--yesterday afterschool her friend Sydney thought it might be fun to run through the sprinkler--brrrrr).
Seth asked us to take him to a concert Friday night at the Colonial Theatre in I.F. for his birthday. We went to see Jake Shimabukuro. He plays the ukelele. This is the video he credits for his discovery. Check it out--he is amazing!These homes are on the other side of the river from the park. Looks like fun, huh?
The park is on an island.
This is a cascade on one side of it.
It's a veteran's memorial park.
The Henry's Fork in St. Anthony
Today I am being very domestic: I have whole wheat bread and honey wheat bagels (w/cranberries and cashews) rising, and I am attempting to make chocolate chip cookies healthier. I am using all whole wheat flour (I ground white wheat this morning), whole oats (I grind them up in my food processor so they are more like flour), and I am substituting mashed white beans for 1/4 of the fat called for. Last time I made them, I did them just the same, but I didn't try to substitute anything for the shortening. Everyone liked them (even Madi). Hopefully they won't be able to detect the difference this time...
...(a couple of hours later) TA DA!
The cookies taste great, but their texture is different. More cake like--like a pumpkin cookie.
My recipe has 1/2 cup margarine/butter and 1/2 cup shortening. I wonder if I substituted for the margarine/butter instead of the shortening if it would make any difference. They didn't spread out well. I guess this is the result of trying to make cookies good for you.
Not too bad, but you can definitely tell--
no trying to be sneaky about it!
2 ...click here to say "Hi!":
Here's hoping things stay beautiful there and Spring sticks around. I'm hoping for the same here!
Your cooking looks great.
Wow! Good for you! I've never tried making bagels before. Are they a lot of work?
I had children asking to play in the sprinkler here too. I resisted their pleas- but at 74 degrees they thought they were roasting. :-)
Did all your snow melt? Is your ankle feeling better? Hope so.
Post a Comment