Monday, March 9, 2009

Okay, I am not so sentimental now--on with the celebration!

Whew--that last post was a little heavy (not that I don't feel that way, but...) I think it is time to get on with the party planning!
(St. Patrick's Day, of course) Today I'm posting the main dish recipe. I went grocery shopping today, and I have everything but the secret, special ingredient--the red currant jelly. In Boise, I always found it at the Albertson's at Columbia Village. I shopped at Winco today with no luck. I think I'll try our little Rigby Broulim's next; they tend to carry specialty items that Winco doesn't.

This recipe was given to me by my Aunt Donnie (LaDawn Hansen), and we love it! One thing I like to do a little differently is that I slice my corn beef before I put on the jelly so that it gets all over it--inside and out!

Aunt Donnie's Corn Beef & Cabbage

-4 lb corn beef w/ seasonings
-red currant jelly
-red potatoes
-cabbage
-1 red pepper

1. Boil corn beef w/seasoning for 3 1/2 hrs. until tender. Remove and place on a broiling pan.


2. Peel just the centers of the red potatoes, and boil in the water left from the corn beef.


3. Saute’ cabbage and red pepper together in oil until just limp. Add following mixture: 2 T sugar, 2 T distilled white vinegar, 1/4 t caraway seed, 1/2 t salt (my variation: saute’ in butter, season w/salt, pepper and garlic powder)


4. Cover corn beef with a fairly thick layer of currant jelly (I slice mine up first). Place under broiler until jelly is bubbly and a little crispy looking.
Transfer corn beef, potatoes, and cabbage to three separate serving dishes. Enjoy!

1 ...click here to say "Hi!":

ManicMandee said...

I so want to be at that party! Hope you find all your ingredients.