Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Spinach trick...

I have been trying to make our meals a little healthier here and there by using whole grains (helps to rotate your food storage, too!) and vegies in different places than expected.
I like to make homemade pizza.
I use half whole-wheat flour in the dough.
But Taylor (and sometimes Madi) are picky about what goes on top of the dough. For a while, all they wanted on their pizza was cheese and pepperoni
(sound familiar?).
They did let me add pineapple.
.
Kinda cute, huh?
( I like to buy the 4-packs of individual serving size pineapple tidbits--one is just enough for a pizza!)
However, recently I tried adding fresh, chopped spinach right after I put on the sauce--and I think it is a keeper. I was inspired by my friend Sariah's blog about her smoothies (I'll have to admit, I tried putting spinach into some of our fruit smoothies, and she is right--you can't taste the spinach in it--but you have to close your eyes to drink it--unless you're alright with pea-green fruit smoothies!).
So, I have been putting spinach
in places I wouldn't have thought to before.
.The first time I tried it out on pizza, the girls looked at their dinner and exclaimed,
"What did you do
to our pizza!?"
But since they had tasted the pea-green smoothies when we tried that experiment and were okay with them, they gave the pizza a shot! Now I add spinach every time I make it (if I have spinach in my crisper). It really makes for a pretty pizza, with the red sauce, bright colored spinach, pineapple and turkey pepperoni--a cheesy, beautiful kid-friendly creation (at least a friend of my kids!) .
(do you think I could fit any more spinach
into this blog?)

2 ...click here to say "Hi!":

Laura said...

I used to put spinach on the pizza, in chili and lasagna. I got away with it for years. Until spinach was officially banned from the house. Frozen chopped spinach, my favorite standby. I still get away with fresh, though. Maybe I will have to try sneaking it back into things. Maybe they will have forgotten about their resolve to never eat spinach on anything again for the rest of their lives. Kids are funny like that.

sariah said...

I think it's great how spinach "disappears" into so many things. But you're right about smoothies turning pea green. My sister in law told her little kids they were "hulk" smoothies and they fell for it. :-)

Maybe we'll have homemade pizza for dinner tonight...