Friday, March 6, 2009

Top O' the Morning to Ye!

Here is a little bit of Bethany and Irish step dance to brighten your morning! (Make sure you press "pause" on my music before you play the video so you don't have too much Irish music going all at once!)

She'll be making her way up from Provo to Rigby this afternoon and we are all excited to see her! Tomorrow night we are going to attend BYU-I Dance Alliance performance--Bethany helped choreograph their Spanish dance (Flamenco) number.

This performance is IDI--Irish Dance Idaho, and was done at the capitol building in Boise on St. Patrick's Day in Bethany's senior year.

This is a picture of Bethany, her cousin Carsten, Aunt Laura, and cousin Jaden--all members of IDI.

I took the video from one floor up. The first dance is a slip jig and is in soft shoes (ghillies). The second is called "Blackbird" and is a hard shoe number. Both are traditional pieces.



I'll be posting recipes for our traditional St. Patrick's Day feast soon. Here is a picture of the layout. It includes Aunt Donnie's Cornbeef and Cabbage with Baby Red Potatoes, Spotted Dog (Irish Soda Bread), and Country Rhubarb Cake.


Start looking for a jar of red currant jelly at your favorite grocery store...(one of the secret ingredients!)

3 ...click here to say "Hi!":

ManicMandee said...

When I was first exposed to Irish dance, I had a hard time getting over the lack of arm use. But I learned to LOVE it. I think it's wonderful! So much so, when I directed a ballet "Alice in Wonderland" I brought in a couple of Irish dancers to be in a scene of it. It became one of my favorite parts of the show.

Laura said...

Hi Mitzi!
The first on is a Slip Jig and the second one (in hard shoes) is Garden of Daisies. I can't believe you have a picture of me on crutches for St. Patrick's Day. That wasn't fun. This year I'll be lacing up my ghillies and joining in the dance. Now I just have to practice. I love your blog. It's getting me in the mood for green!

Laura said...

OOps! The second is Blackbird, you're right...